- 1 beef tongue medium size average weight 2 ½ to 3 Lbs
- 4 quarts of water to cook the tongue
- ½ medium size white onion
- 8 medium-size garlic cloves peeled
- ½ teaspoon black peppers corns
- 1 spring fresh thyme
- 2 Large Bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon dry Mexican oregano salt to taste
For the tomato sauce:
- 4 large Plum tomatoes chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 Jalapeño or Serrano peppers sliced
- 1 medium-size white onion finely chopped
- 1 cup of the beef cooking broth
- Salt to taste
Place the beef tongue, whole, in a large stockpot, cover with water and add the onion, garlic, black pepper, thyme, and oregano. Cook over medium-high heat for about 3 ½ hrs. until tender. If you prefer, cook in a pressure cooker for 45 minutes or in a crockpot overnight for 6 hours in low setting. Check for doneness with a fork, the meat has to be very soft but not to the point of shredding. Cool the beef tongue and remove the outside skin. Once cooled cut into slices.
For the sauce:
- Place the tomatoes and garlic clove in a blender and process until you have a fine puree. If needed, add a few tablespoon of water.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over a low-medium heat, add the chopped onion and sauté until slightly golden brown. Add the Jalapeño peppers slices if using.
- Pour the tomato puree from the blender and keep cooking until you have a thick sauce; add the beef tongue broth and stir.
- Season with salt, add the sliced beef tongue to the sauce and keep cooking for about 15 minutes more. The sauce will be slightly thick.
Server with rice or corn tortillas.
Cook potatoes or carrots & peas to serve (optional)