The best chipotles (large, smoky Mexican chiles) for this dish are the canned ones, packed in adobo sauce. If you can find only dried chipotles, stem, seed, and soak them in warm water to cover for 1 hour before beginning the recipe.
- 6 large baking potatoes (about 3 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 2 large canned chipotle chiles, seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup warm milk
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed through a press
- 3 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, chipotles, and water to cover, and cook covered, until the potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes. With a slotted spoon remove the potatoes from the liquid, discarding the chipotle pieces.
- Pass the potatoes through a ricer into a bowl and stir in the milk and garlic. Whisk in the oil and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving dish and serve.