- 3-4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 medium onions, chopped coarsely
- 4-6 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- black pepper to taste
- 1-2 fresh jalapeno or serrano peppers, chopped finely
- 3-4 medium tomatoes, chopped (roughly 4 cups)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1-2 limes
- Grated Monterrey Jack cheese and cilantro, both optional.
- In a large pot, saute the onions, garlic, and spices in the olive oil for 4-5 minutes on medium heat. Add the jalapenos or serranos and saute for another 5 minutes or so.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, cover the pot and cook on medium, stirring frequently, until the tomatoes begin to release their juices, perhaps 10 minutes or so (depending on the tomatoes).
- Add the stock, bring everything to a boil, and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the lime juice and serve immediately. Garnish with optional Monterey Jack cheese and cilantro.