Using mangoes for desserts have been common in Mexico for centuries.
- 2 ripe mangoes
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ envelope gelatin*
- 2 tablespoons hot water*
- 2 tablespoons cold water*
- 1 ½ teaspoons Mexican lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1+½ cups whipped cream
- Place the mangoes and powdered sugar in a food processor and puree.
- In a large bowl, place the gelatin with the cold and hot water, lemon juice, nutmeg and cinnamon. Stir and then let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the mango puree to the gelatin mixture. Let sit for 20 minutes.
- Beat one cup of the whipping cream to soft peaks and gently fold into the mangoes.
- As this point you can either spoon the mousse into individual dishes or place the entire amount into a spring-form pan for slicing later.
- Let the mousse chill in the refrigerator at least 4 hours. Top with fresh whipped cream.
*You can omit the gelatin and water, producing a softer consistency-more like a pudding.