Makes three 9-inch square waffles
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 egg whites
- In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center.
- In another bowl beat egg yolks slightly. Stir in milk and oil.
- Add egg yolk mixture all at once to the dry mixture. Stir just till moistened (should be lumpy).
- In a small bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight up).
- Gently fold egg whites into flour and egg yolk mixture, leaving a few fluffs of egg white… Do not overmix.
- Spoon waffle batter into your waffle iron, making sure not to overfill it.
- Serve with real maple syrup and unsalted butter.
Credit: Photo by Mae Mu