- 3 spoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ green pepper, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp. orégano
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds, toasted
- 6 cups chicken broth/stock
- The juice of 2 large limas dulces plus 1 lime (or 2 medium limes, if you can’t find limas dulces), halved, plus remaining juiced citrus shells
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, halved
- 2 corn tortillas, cut into small strips
- Salt to taste
- Slices of lima dulce or lime (optional; for garnish)
- Avocado slices (optional; for garnish)
Heat 2 spoons oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until translucent, about five minutes. Add green pepper, tomato, orégano and toasted cumin seeds and continue cooking about five minutes more.
Add chicken stock, citrus juices and remaining citrus shells to pot and stir to blend. Bring to a light boil. Add chicken breasts and turn heat down slightly to an occasional simmer. Continue simmering soup about 10-15 minutes, until chicken is fully cooked through. Remove chicken from pot, allow to cool slightly, then shred into small pieces and return to pot.
Heat remaining 1 spoon oil in small skillet over medium heat until hot, but not smoking. Add tortilla strips and fry until lightly golden brown. Remove from heat, drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt to taste. Serve soup in bowls garnished with fresh citrus slices, avocado, and tortilla strips.